Hiking in style
Dover woman to hike Appalachian Trail in style
Whitney Silberblatt of Dover, who will soon celebrate her 34th birthday while hiking from Georgia to Maine, was one of 11 hikers chosen through a nation-wide search for the Thru-Hike Syndicate to hike the 2,200-mile trail with equipment issued from five outdoor companies, including the Dover-based Nemo Equipment Inc., Vasque, Osprey Packs, Leki Trekking Poles and Darn Tough.
"Along with the unique opportunity to use some of the industry's best gear, the hikers will also have access to product support, VIP treatment and a platform for sharing their tales from the trail with interested followers," according to a release by Nemo.
The 11 hikers will all begin their journeys sometime between the middle of this month or the beginning of April.
"I got an email a month later asking if I still had plans to hike the AT and the rest is history," Silberblatt said in an email.
While she loves to cook "creative camp meals," Silberblatt said she's found that the freeze-dried and dehydrated meals "are so much easier to deal with and I really don't think they taste that bad."
"I remind myself often that there will be days where I am uncomfortable and unhappy and that I must remember on those days why it is I am out there and to focus on that and not the downside," Silberblatt said.
After hiking all of the "White Mountain Four Thousand Footers" — 48 peaks including Mt. Washington — Silberblatt said she's almost finished with ascending them all again in the winter. She only has about eight left to go and anticipates completing the task this month.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Andy's Summer Playhouse: Curtain comes down on 44th season - 0
- Barnstormers benefit auction set for Sunday - 0
- Mostly Bach Festival in North Conway this weekend - 0
- All aboard for a ride and nature tour - 0
- Kingston Trio returns to the Flying Monkey - 0
- Violinist, pianist in New Castle Sunday - 0
- Catch Roland Goodbody in 'A Pair Of His Own Shorts' - 0
- Fire on the Mountain Chili Fest in Henniker on Sunday - 0
- Blues legend Taj Mahal at Prescott Park - 0
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Riding the indoor surfing wave
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles