Hiking in style
Dover woman to hike Appalachian Trail in style
Whitney Silberblatt of Dover, who will soon celebrate her 34th birthday while hiking from Georgia to Maine, was one of 11 hikers chosen through a nation-wide search for the Thru-Hike Syndicate to hike the 2,200-mile trail with equipment issued from five outdoor companies, including the Dover-based Nemo Equipment Inc., Vasque, Osprey Packs, Leki Trekking Poles and Darn Tough.
"Along with the unique opportunity to use some of the industry's best gear, the hikers will also have access to product support, VIP treatment and a platform for sharing their tales from the trail with interested followers," according to a release by Nemo.
The 11 hikers will all begin their journeys sometime between the middle of this month or the beginning of April.
"I got an email a month later asking if I still had plans to hike the AT and the rest is history," Silberblatt said in an email.
While she loves to cook "creative camp meals," Silberblatt said she's found that the freeze-dried and dehydrated meals "are so much easier to deal with and I really don't think they taste that bad."
"I remind myself often that there will be days where I am uncomfortable and unhappy and that I must remember on those days why it is I am out there and to focus on that and not the downside," Silberblatt said.
After hiking all of the "White Mountain Four Thousand Footers" — 48 peaks including Mt. Washington — Silberblatt said she's almost finished with ascending them all again in the winter. She only has about eight left to go and anticipates completing the task this month.
- KORN Take On The 'Haters' With New Fan-assisted Video - 0
- Proposed Hike Safe Card Rule Hearing Set for September 8 - 0
- Mr. Mac's announces a new fundraiser program - 0
- Loeb School Seeks 1st Amendment Award Nominees - 0
- Loeb School offers Public Speaking Workshop Sept 13th - 0
- Conservation Officers and OHRV Safety Instructor Honored - 0
- Ted Nugent wraps up summer 'SHUTUP&JAM!' Tour with Sold-Out Concert benefitting The 'Show Of Support Memorial' For Our Troops - 0
- Folk legend John Gorka live in concert at the Peterborough Players Theatre - 0
- Goffstown resident obtains driveway permit waiver, but still questions practice - 0
Billy Ray Cyrus joins Dave Stewart, Martina McBride and an all-star crowd for 'The Beatles' 50th at the Bowl' Aug. 22-24 at the Hollywood BowlREADER COMMENTS: 0
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
Poll: Brown makes gains on Sen. Shaheen
Market Basket: Analysts point to debt
NH business taxes among highest, study finds