Hiking in style
Dover woman to hike Appalachian Trail in style
Whitney Silberblatt of Dover, who will soon celebrate her 34th birthday while hiking from Georgia to Maine, was one of 11 hikers chosen through a nation-wide search for the Thru-Hike Syndicate to hike the 2,200-mile trail with equipment issued from five outdoor companies, including the Dover-based Nemo Equipment Inc., Vasque, Osprey Packs, Leki Trekking Poles and Darn Tough.
"Along with the unique opportunity to use some of the industry's best gear, the hikers will also have access to product support, VIP treatment and a platform for sharing their tales from the trail with interested followers," according to a release by Nemo.
The 11 hikers will all begin their journeys sometime between the middle of this month or the beginning of April.
"I got an email a month later asking if I still had plans to hike the AT and the rest is history," Silberblatt said in an email.
While she loves to cook "creative camp meals," Silberblatt said she's found that the freeze-dried and dehydrated meals "are so much easier to deal with and I really don't think they taste that bad."
"I remind myself often that there will be days where I am uncomfortable and unhappy and that I must remember on those days why it is I am out there and to focus on that and not the downside," Silberblatt said.
After hiking all of the "White Mountain Four Thousand Footers" — 48 peaks including Mt. Washington — Silberblatt said she's almost finished with ascending them all again in the winter. She only has about eight left to go and anticipates completing the task this month.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Speedway looks to attract more fans as NASCAR stars return to NH - 0
- Next to the fun park, a new seafood spot - 0
- A story to bring beer lovers pleasant dreams - 0
- Salem senior housing ordinance change proposed - 0
- New Boston students could be given option to attend Goffstown middle school - 0
- New Album 'WORLD ON FIRE' Released Today And Streaming On USA Today, appearances to follow - 0
- Whitefield artist's beadwork is a tribute to her Native American ancestry - 0
- Alice Cooper 'Raise The Dead – Live From Wacken' DVD out October 21 in North America via UDR Music - 0
- Joan Osborne & The Weight: Members of The Band in Plymouth next weekend - 0
Win tickets to see Demi Lovato
NH couple hit slot for $2.4m in Las Vegas
A story to bring beer lovers pleasant dreams
Win tickets to see Kip Moore
Enter to win tickets to see the Dirty Heads
Win tickets to see the John Butler Trio
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding?
Every vote counts: Here is the proof