Portuguese firm's wind-speed tower request creates concern
EDP Renewables of Portugal, which says it has developed more than 4,000 megawatts of wind power in the United States and has built wind power plants in Maine, met with Alexandria selectmen Feb. 25 to share information needed for the town to permit an 80-meter meteorological tower, said Derek B. Rieman, a project manager with EDP Renewables.
If permitted by the state’s Site Evaluation Committee, Spruce Wind would be a $140 million, 60-megwawatt, 15-25 turbine project that would be built on a single landowner’s leased property which stretches across the towns of Groton, Alexandria, Hebron and Orange.
“From Mt. Cardigan itself, the turbine project will also be seen in its entirety and will additionally have turbines on property crossed by local hiking trails connecting to AMC trails,” she said.
“We believe this project has the necessary requirements to benefit New Hampshire with the $140 million investment, over 1,000 construction jobs, and several permanent positions. These towns will also receive property taxes for the existence of the project,” Rieman said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Who scares Shaheen? She wants to stop Scott Brown - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 8
- Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test - 1
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 73
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 3
- Wheeler in Dist. 5: A GOP fighter for the little guy - 4
- GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help - 12
- Obama's indecision: In NH, only Ayotte urges action - 57
- Concealed controversy: Our 'Mother, may I' gun policy - 59
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Laconia accident results in minor injuries for motorcyclist - 0
- Christopher Thompson's Closing the Deal: Time for Market Basket to get back to business - 0
- Playing for a purpose Field Hockey Jamboree at Manchester Memorial - 0
- Franklin Pierce's Kirsh to retire as AD - 0
- UNH Wildcat gridders can't stop Toledo, 54-20 - 0
- UNH Wildcats volleyball looking forward to good season - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats' cuts hold few surprises - 0
- New-look Boston Red Sox taking test run - 0
- NH Fisher Cats bats silenced in Conn., in 3-1 loss - 0
Mount Washington Auto Road to host largest gathering of alternative-energy based vehicles in North America
Amnesty? Garcia is against it