Portuguese firm's wind-speed tower request creates concern
EDP Renewables of Portugal, which says it has developed more than 4,000 megawatts of wind power in the United States and has built wind power plants in Maine, met with Alexandria selectmen Feb. 25 to share information needed for the town to permit an 80-meter meteorological tower, said Derek B. Rieman, a project manager with EDP Renewables.
If permitted by the state’s Site Evaluation Committee, Spruce Wind would be a $140 million, 60-megwawatt, 15-25 turbine project that would be built on a single landowner’s leased property which stretches across the towns of Groton, Alexandria, Hebron and Orange.
“From Mt. Cardigan itself, the turbine project will also be seen in its entirety and will additionally have turbines on property crossed by local hiking trails connecting to AMC trails,” she said.
“We believe this project has the necessary requirements to benefit New Hampshire with the $140 million investment, over 1,000 construction jobs, and several permanent positions. These towns will also receive property taxes for the existence of the project,” Rieman said.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Solar project gets federal boost with $30k grant - 0
- Liberty Utilities requests 46% electric rate hike - 6
- Fuller Oil facing $4.7M suit over oil payments - 2
- PSNH projects bills could rise by less than 1 percent next year - 0
- Utilities plan $3 billion natural gas pipeline - 1
- Alternative energy vehicles rule Mount Washington Auto road - 0
- Natural gas pipeline still holds promise for Groveton - 1
- Bird causes Concord-area power outage Monday - 0
- Swanzey solar array should be completed by end of 2014 - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Double-overtime goal sends Goffstown past John Stark in boys' soccer - 0
- UNH gridders jump one spot in national polls - 0
- NHIAA Field Hockey: Merrill's hat trick lifts Winnacunnet - 0
- Manchester teachers to vote again next week on contract - 0
- Nabbed and then cleared by feds, NH man still intends to sell rhino trophy - 0
- Developer says Alexandria wrong to deny tower - 0
- Salem police target ski-jacket thief who used tree branch to hide license plate - 0
- Strafford County inmate facing charges of thefts from vehicles - 0
- Students learn about modern manufacturing in Salem - 0
Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance