Board of Education to vote on Nashua North High principal
NASHUA — Interim Principal Marianne Busteed is hoping to become Nashua High School North’s next top administrator, and tonight the Board of Education will vote on a recommendation to hire her as the school’s principal at an annual salary of $103,000.
“I feel like I couldn’t be more ready to take over a principalship,” Busteed told the BOE’s Human Resources Committee during a public interview last week. “I’m busting at the seams, ready to go.”
Busteed left a job as a human resources specialist in the high tech industry to follow a new career in education. She taught family and consumer science at Nashua High School South for five years before stepping into the role of assistant principal there in 2008.
Last September, she moved over to North as interim principal after former principal David Ryan left to accept a position as assistant superintendent for the Manchester School District.
Busteed said one of the job’s biggest challenges will be to implement the district’s new competency-based grading system.
She also said she hopes to foster a stronger sense of unity at North.
“We need to come together more as a school,” Busteed said during her interview. “There’s part of the student body that we’re not connecting with. We need to bring in more students and help them feel like they belong to the school.”
BOE members will also vote on a recommendation to establish an Air Force Junior ROTC program for Nashua high school students and whether to approve a $1 million grant application to the New Hampshire Department of Education to continue the 21st Century Extended Day programs for middle school students. The five-year grant would focus on boosting student achievement in language arts, math and science through after-school enrichment activities.
During last week’s public hearing on the proposed 2015 school budget, Superintendent Mark Conrad announced the administration would be presenting a list of cuts in spending. The initial proposal was for $102 million, or a 5.2 percent increase over last year’s budget.
Mayor Donnalee Lozeau has asked the school officials to find a way to keep this year’s increase in school spending to 2.1 percent, and members of the Board of Aldermen have already said cuts to the original $102 million proposal are inevitable.
Conrad said the revised budget will call for an increase closer to 4 to 4.5 percent. Part of the reduction will come from a change in the request for a $1 million increase to the transportation account. The details of the new busing contract are expected to be announced at the BOE’s Finance and Operations Committee meeting on Tuesday.
Although the BOE’s Budget Committee is scheduled to give a report to the full board at Monday night’s meeting, a detailed list of cuts may not be presented until Wednesday night when the board meets for another budget workshop.