MANCHESTER — A man who was twirling a burning baton as friends watched in a parking lot attracted an unexpected audience Monday night.
A truck from the Manchester Fire Department showed up after a neighbor called to report a fire at 6 Country Club Drive.
Fire Lt. Mark Battey said the man was quite surprised to see the fire truck and learn that he was in violation of the city’s ordinance prohibiting open burning.
“People have burned down buildings with just a cigarette butt in the past, so we can’t really have any open burning in the city,” Battey said.
Battey said the man was cooperative and apologetic as firefighters explained the ordinance, which prohibits open burning and recreational fires unless they are contained in a city-approved fireplace.