All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 2 views left. | Register | Sign In

Derry firefighters extinguished this Jeep fire Sunday morning after the driver smelled smoke and found a fire burning in the rear. (COURTESY)

Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire

DERRY — A 1999 Jeep Cherokee caught fire Sunday morning on Boyd Road because of an electrical problem, according to fire officials.

Sean Parker, 42, of 2 Folsum Ave., was driving the Jeep near 9 Boyd Road just before 7 a.m. when he smelled smoke and saw smoke in the rear trunk area.

He pulled over, opened up the rear of the vehicle and saw a small interior fire on the left side of the Jeep in the fender. In a matter of seconds, the fire spread throughout the Jeep. A woman driving behind Parker called 911.

When firefighters arrived, the Jeep was completely in flames. The Jeep was parked on a hill and fire crews, wearing full firefighting protective clothing and using self-contained breathing apparatus, immediately chocked the rear wheels to prevent it from rolling and then stretched a 1 3/4-inch hose to put out the blaze.

Parker told firefighters he experienced electrical problems with the Jeep. Interior lights went on and off on their own, and the directional signals would either not work or go on without him activating them.

The fire started in the electrical wiring harness inside the left rear fender, fire officials said, but why the electrical system failed has not been determined.

Fire officials caution anyone experiencing electrical issues with a vehicle to immediately get it checked out because it can result in a short and a fire.


Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

More Public Safety

NH Angle - Public Safety