action:frontpage | category:NEWS07 | adString:N/A | zoneID:17

Home » News » Public Safety

March 10. 2014 10:47AM

Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire


Derry firefighters extinguished this Jeep fire Sunday morning after the driver smelled smoke and found a fire burning in the rear. (COURTESY)

DERRY — A 1999 Jeep Cherokee caught fire Sunday morning on Boyd Road because of an electrical problem, according to fire officials.

Sean Parker, 42, of 2 Folsum Ave., was driving the Jeep near 9 Boyd Road just before 7 a.m. when he smelled smoke and saw smoke in the rear trunk area.

He pulled over, opened up the rear of the vehicle and saw a small interior fire on the left side of the Jeep in the fender. In a matter of seconds, the fire spread throughout the Jeep. A woman driving behind Parker called 911.

When firefighters arrived, the Jeep was completely in flames. The Jeep was parked on a hill and fire crews, wearing full firefighting protective clothing and using self-contained breathing apparatus, immediately chocked the rear wheels to prevent it from rolling and then stretched a 1 3/4-inch hose to put out the blaze.

Parker told firefighters he experienced electrical problems with the Jeep. Interior lights went on and off on their own, and the directional signals would either not work or go on without him activating them.

The fire started in the electrical wiring harness inside the left rear fender, fire officials said, but why the electrical system failed has not been determined.

Fire officials caution anyone experiencing electrical issues with a vehicle to immediately get it checked out because it can result in a short and a fire.


Follow us:
Twitter icon Facebook icon RSS icon
Sorry, no question available

 New Hampshire Business Directory

  

    ADD YOUR BUSINESS TODAY!

 New Hampshire Events Calendar
    

    SHARE EVENTS FOR PUBLICATION, IT'S FREE!

Upcoming Events