Home » News » Public Safety
Officials investigate suspicious Manchester blaze
District Chief James Michael said the blaze, reported just before 3:30 a.m. by a third floor tenant, caused about $20,000 in damage.
Seven people fled the building, which has a convenience store on the ground level and four apartments above, after smoke detectors sounded.
The one-alarm blaze was quickly extinguished by firefighters, although flames made their way inside the walls. Fire crews cut open walls on the second floor to put the fire out.
Two of the four apartments were occupied, Michael said.
The residents were allowed to return to their homes, but the convenience store remains closed until city health officials inspect it. Michael explained power was shut off to the store which suffered smoke damage.
He said fire investigators are trying to figure out how the fire started and believe it began on the exterior of the store's front door, which was fixed with a steel security door, making it initially difficult for firefighters to get inside.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 9
- Dozens of ill Keith Urban fans treated at concert near Boston - 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 2
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 5
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 3
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Derry woman arrested after police pursuit - 0
- Charles M. Arlinghaus: Taxation without representation again? - 2
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 12
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 2
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 1
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 10
Market Basket community waits and watches
Derry woman arrested after police pursuit
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride