Home » News » Public Safety
Officials investigate suspicious Manchester blaze
District Chief James Michael said the blaze, reported just before 3:30 a.m. by a third floor tenant, caused about $20,000 in damage.
Seven people fled the building, which has a convenience store on the ground level and four apartments above, after smoke detectors sounded.
The one-alarm blaze was quickly extinguished by firefighters, although flames made their way inside the walls. Fire crews cut open walls on the second floor to put the fire out.
Two of the four apartments were occupied, Michael said.
The residents were allowed to return to their homes, but the convenience store remains closed until city health officials inspect it. Michael explained power was shut off to the store which suffered smoke damage.
He said fire investigators are trying to figure out how the fire started and believe it began on the exterior of the store's front door, which was fixed with a steel security door, making it initially difficult for firefighters to get inside.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Talk of 'wings on pigs' threats on police tests U.S. speech rights - 0
- Brentwood police look to increase coverage after officer's death in May - 4
- Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm - 39
- Police investigate report of shots fired - 0
- Manchester blaze that left dozens homeless was accidental - 0
- Milford woman injured in Bedford crash - 0
- Park on any side of the street in Manchester during Christmas week - 0
- NYC mayor wants protests on hold after police deaths - 0
- Mother of two says she's lucky, even though condo destroyed in blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads