All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 2 views left. | Register | Sign In

Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze

MANCHESTER &#-; Wiring in a lamp in a third-floor apartment is what caused a fire last week in a Kelley Street building, which shut down a pawn shop and displaced tenants residing in four apartments, according to a fire official.Firefighters quickly extinguished the blaze in the building last Thursday at 126-128 Kelley St. The building is owned by Richard Gobis of 66 Nashua St., according to Housing Code Enforcement Supervisor David Albin.The third-floor apartment, however, was destroyed and the apartments beneath it, as well as the Good Still Pawn Shop, were damaged by smoke and water.Originally, District Fire Chief Al Poulin expected tenants would be allowed to return to their apartments, except for the fire-damaged one.However, Kristopher Eaton, who with his girlfriend and two cats resided in a second-floor apartment, said none of the tenants was allowed to return. He and his girlfriend are presently staying at Town Place Suites. The Red Cross, he said, paid for a motel for the first three nights.His insurance is covering the cost of the motel now. He said he was the only one with insurance among all the tenants.Albin said power and gas to the building were shut off and that since the fire, no repairs have been made.As of yesterday, the city revoked the building's certificate of occupancy on the residential units, given their uninhabitable condition.Albin said the owner did obtain a permit to do electrical work.


Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

More Public Safety

NH Angle - Public Safety