Home » News » Public Safety
Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze
MANCHESTER — Wiring in a lamp in a third-floor apartment is what caused a fire last week in a Kelley Street building, which shut down a pawn shop and displaced tenants residing in four apartments, according to a fire official.
Firefighters quickly extinguished the blaze in the building last Thursday at 126-128 Kelley St. The building is owned by Richard Gobis of 66 Nashua St., according to Housing Code Enforcement Supervisor David Albin.
The third-floor apartment, however, was destroyed and the apartments beneath it, as well as the Good Still Pawn Shop, were damaged by smoke and water.
Originally, District Fire Chief Al Poulin expected tenants would be allowed to return to their apartments, except for the fire-damaged one.
However, Kristopher Eaton, who with his girlfriend and two cats resided in a second-floor apartment, said none of the tenants was allowed to return. He and his girlfriend are presently staying at Town Place Suites. The Red Cross, he said, paid for a motel for the first three nights.
His insurance is covering the cost of the motel now. He said he was the only one with insurance among all the tenants.
Albin said power and gas to the building were shut off and that since the fire, no repairs have been made.
As of yesterday, the city revoked the building's certificate of occupancy on the residential units, given their uninhabitable condition.
Albin said the owner did obtain a permit to do electrical work.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Missing since October, Abby Hernandez is home - 6
- Keene police continue pedestrian collision investigation - 0
- State bomb squad explodes suspicious package in Salem parking lot - 0
- Bodies of downed plane's passengers leave Ukraine crash site for return to Netherlands - 0
- 30-year-old man found dead in Laconia apartment - 0
- AG: Missing Conway teen Abigail Hernandez reunited with family - 10
- Maine man hurt in ATV accident in northern NH - 0
- Police say North Country motor vehicle deaths down - 0
- Hiker rescued from Mount Washington - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Only a freshman, Kennedy excelled on the track - 0
- Looking Back With Aurore Eaton: The Manchester Opera House makes its stunning debut - 0
- Another View -- John Dumais: Mandatory GMO labeling is all cost, no benefit - 0
- What’s the rush? Executive Council follows Pelosi plan - 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats prove point - 0
- Evan Turner, Celtics see upside in new deal - 0
- Thunder take two from Fisher Cats - 0
- Ortiz, Drew (4 RBIs each) lead Red Sox hit parade against Blue Jays - 0
- Nashua settles suit over gas collection system - 0
Market Basket workers urged to 'shut it down'; deposed CEO urges fired workers be given jobs back
Shaheen's record: On insurance, it is dismal
Anti-SUV flop: Americans love utility
U.S. appeals courts issue conflicting rulings on Obamacare exchange subsidies such as NH's