Home » News » Politics » Town Meetings
Newton selectmen chairman defeated in election
NEWTON – Current selectmen chairman Raymond D. Thayer lost his seat on the board during Tuesday’s elections in a hotly contested race for a one-year seat. Matthew Burrill (419) was the winner ahead of Thayer (110), Robert Miller (236) and Chris Stephan (102).
James L. Doggett and Larry Foote earned three-year seats on the board with 432 votes and 374 votes, respectively.
Voters narrowly approved changing the library director position from part time to full time by a vote of 447-442.
Voters rejected a proposal to change the town treasurer position from elected to appointed by a vote of 353-523.
Many other warrant articles were also rejected, including a proposal to change the position of highway foreman from part time to full time, a $19,000 proposal for renovation of the skateboard park and addition of an outdoor ice rink at Greenie Park and two proposals related to equipment for the fire department.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- New London voters pass municipal budget - 0
- Peterborough voters say no to cluster housing, yes to village zone - 0
- Newport voters say yes to police and DPW raises - 0
- Hooksett voters OK budget, police pact - 0
- Voters reject propane-only heating plan at Lafayette Regional School - 0
- Zoning measures against sprawl on Peterborough Town Meeting ballot - 0
- Town engineer, budget increase on Hooksett ballot - 0
- New London residents to vote on $1.17 million budget - 0
- Sanbornton to vote on cruisers, voting date - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles M. Arlinghaus: Taxation without representation again? - 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 1
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Market Basket community waits and watches
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride