Vintage posters go on view, silent auction block at AVA in Lebanon
LEBANON — AVA Gallery and Art Center, 11 Bank St., will display and auction off 19 framed vintage posters from the collection of Alfred T. Quirk.
Quirk, a longtime AVA supporter, donated the posters from his extensive collection to benefit the organization's nonprofit visual arts organization. The images include Harper's Bazaar and World War I propaganda posters by artists Edward Penfield, James Montgomery Flagg and Charles Livingston Bull, among others.
"One particularly impressive poster is a color lithograph by Flagg titled 'Wake up America Day', depicting a woman as a town crier carrying a lantern and American flag," curators said.
A reception is planned from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. today. A preview and early bidding period for the silent auction will take place today through Saturday, March 29, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. in AVA's Johnson Sisters Library. In addition, AVA will extend its regular gallery hours to include Sunday, March 23, and Monday, March 24. The final bidding takes place at 7:30 p.m. during a Silent Auction Party on Saturday, March 29.
While no admission is charged to preview the exhibition or to make early-bird bids, there is an admission fee to attend the Silent Auction Party. Cost is $25-$30 in advance or $40 at the door.
For more information, call 448-3117 or visit avagallery.org.
To improve the chance of seeing your comment posted here or published in the New Hampshire Union Leader:
- Identify yourself. Accounts using fake or incomplete names are suspended regardless of the quality of posts.
- Say something new, stay on topic, keep it short.
- Links to outside URLs are discouraged, if used they should be on topic.
- Avoid comments in bad taste, write well, avoid using all capital letters
- Don't cite facts about individuals or businesses without providing a means to verify the claim
- If you see an objectionable comment please click the "Report Abuse" button and be sure to tell us why.
Note: Comments are the opinion of the respective poster and not of the publisher.Be the first to comment.