Home » News » Public Safety
Snowmobiler dies; 4th fatality of season
Manchester firefighter James Kelly of Hooksett was injured in a snowmobile crash last month in Auburn. (Courtesy Auburn Fire Department)
Aaron E. Brown, 37, of Dover died of injuries suffered in the crash about 1:15 a.m., according to Fish and Game.
Juneau said he hasn't seen a spike in crashes this winter.
He said the other fatal accidents happened:
. Jan. 28, in Pittsburg, during the day on a sanctioned trail. A Hudson woman died.
. Feb. 8, in Washington, during the day. A Dover man died.
Overall, there have been 45 reported snowmobile accidents this winter, resulting in 42 injuries.
The accident victims vary in age and include people visiting from outside the state.
The Washington fatality claimed the life of a 62-year-old Dover man while an 11-year-old girl was seriously injured in a South Acworth crash in January and had to be flown by helicopter to the hospital.
This month, state officials, in the wake of a "skimming" accident in Weirs Beach, warned snowmobile and ATV riders who like to ride their machines over pockets of open water on state lakes that they are breaking the law, and that they are risking their lives.
"We've had to pull bodies out of the water of people who thought they were just having some fun," said Sgt. Brad Morse, a Fish and Game conservation officer said.
Juneau had a quick tip: "We can't stress enough that helmets save lives."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 0
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 3
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 2
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
- Salem family ldisplaced by house fire - 0
- Mother says Abigail in 'deteriorated' health - 17
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Jailed man faces new charge for allegedly contacting witness - 0
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 3
- Nashua man arrested in Brookline stabbing - 0
- Cumberland Farms robbed; third store hit this month in Rochester - 0
- E-cigarettes find a market in NH - 0
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 2
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 4
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 1
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
Gorham man arrested for kidnapping Abigail
LNG plant put 'on hold'
E-cigarettes find a market in NH
20140728-Dover patient shocked by $3,766 Wentworth-Douglass charged insurer for tube of cold sore cream
Cabrera, Blue Jays trounce fading Red Sox