Roger Simon: Hillary is sick - of the media
She was appearing with Matt Lauer on NBC's "Today," the day after Bill Clinton had publicly stated: "I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky."
In fact, it is starting already. In case you haven't heard, Hillary Clinton may have a secret terrible illness that will prevent her from running for President in 2016. Rush Limbaugh, The Daily Caller, Matt Drudge and Roger Stone, often described as a "self-admitted GOP hit man," have spread the rumor.
"@HillaryClinton not running for health reasons. Remember you heard it first from the #StoneZone."
Four days later, Limbaugh began a broadcast this way: "Whispers are persisting, whispers - there's a whisper campaign, folks - that Mrs. Clinton is sick, that she will not run for the presidency because she is sick."
"Do the Republicans have the gonads to do something like this?" Limbaugh asked. "Do the Republicans have the gonads to start a rumor that Mrs. Clinton is ill? It's Drudge's lead story there with a picture of Hillary looking like she's in great stress and distress. The headline is: 'Is She Sick?' That's all it takes, and people start wondering, 'What kind of sick?'"
The piece stated: "These ubiquitous rumors of her health have been fueled in part by the supermarket tabloids. The National Enquirer wrote in 2012 that Clinton had brain cancer, something a spokesman dismissed then as 'absolute nonsense.' In January of this year, the Globe claimed that Clinton secretly had a brain tumor."
Why not? In modern American journalism, if you haven't gone too far, you haven't gone far enough. If you don't post the story and get the clicks, someone else will. To step back from crossing the line is to admit that such a line exists.
To me, raking in that kind of dough is a sign of keen mental health.
Roger Simon is Politico's chief political columnist.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Motor Speedway to again host two Sprint Cup Series weekends in 2015 - 0
- St. Anselm football players practice ini August heat - 0
- White, Glenn lift Fisher Cats over Harrisburg, 6-4 - 0
- KSC field hockey first in coaches poll - 0
- New England Patriots guard Mankins traded to Tampa for TE Wright - 0
- NH Fisher Cat Lee still striving for making it to the major leagues - 0
- Former city restaurateur gets jail sentence for sex assault - 0
- Former high school art teacher gets suspended sentence in drug case - 0
- New Manchester school district standards to give teachers more leeway - 0
Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner
Market Basket: 'So close, yet so far'
KSC field hockey first in coaches poll
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate