Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: On lice and why Marie Antoinette lost head
I'm not sure that is wise, but the current Manchester policy, which is apparently to send kids home with lice, seems barbaric. Shouldn't we send them home without lice?
And let them eat cake, too, which is what Mr. Peabody and Sherman saw Marie Antoinette doing when they used the Way Back Machine to travel to the French Revolution in the new animated movie, which is a huge snore unless you are the age of Ike, Mike, or Spike.
When Sherman asked why she didn't do so, Peabody recalled the old saying: You can't have your cake and edict, too.
Today is St. Patrick's Day. William Loeb once told me to make sure that "The Shamrock" poem is reprinted each year on March 17 and I'm not about to mess with that edict. You should find the poem in an adjoining column of today's Union O'Leader.
And to remind faithful readers of how old we are all getting to be, this weekend will mark birthdays for eldest grandson Ike, and for the youngest, Spike, as well as for the Lady of the Little House and for the former rugrat. Ike will be turning seven. The Lady of the Little House remains forever young.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- New London voters pass municipal budget - 0
- Peterborough voters say no to cluster housing, yes to village zone - 0
- Newport voters say yes to police and DPW raises - 0
- Hooksett voters OK budget, police pact - 0
- Voters reject propane-only heating plan at Lafayette Regional School - 0
- Zoning measures against sprawl on Peterborough Town Meeting ballot - 0
- Town engineer, budget increase on Hooksett ballot - 0
- New London residents to vote on $1.17 million budget - 0
- Sanbornton to vote on cruisers, voting date - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles M. Arlinghaus: Taxation without representation again? - 2
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 9
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 2
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 1
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 7
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
Market Basket community waits and watches
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride