Home » News » Politics » Town Meetings
Troy voters accept community center donation
About 75 voters turned out to the town meeting Wednesday night.
The Samuel E. Paul Community Center is planned to be built at the Samuel E. Paul War Memorial Recreation Area.
The recreation area is locally known as the Sand Dam, and includes a pond, basketball courts, baseball field and a skate park, which will also be upgraded as part of the project.
The center would have a large main room with a divider for meetings, a full size kitchen, bathrooms and a cellar for storage.
The school district includes Fitzwilliam, Gilsum, Richmond, Troy, Roxbury and Swanzey. The towns of Surry and Sullivan withdrew from the district over the past few years.
Troy town officials say according to state law a petition article cannot change a school district formula, but the state Board of Education let the change go through anyway, Matson said.The town is currently appealing the matter in Cheshire County Superior Court.
“Withdrawal from the school district cooperative by Troy makes absolutely no financial sense for a couple of basic reasons,” he said.
There are ongoing efforts to reduce the cost per student in the district, which has one of the highest per student costs in the state, Thackston said. And like other school districts Monadnock is facing a decline in enrollment.
READER COMMENTS: 9
- Deroy Murdock: The indictment of Rick Perry is bizarre and unfounded - 0
- Another View - Marc Champion: A strong terror policy would cure Obama's golf woes - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Obama confuses the TV world with the real one - 1
- George Will: In defense of the defenders - 0
- Roger Simon: Is Ferguson the future? - 0
- Charles Krauthammer: Stopping the worst people on earth - 0
- Lynn Preston's NH Legal Perspectives: What prospective real estate purchasers need to know - 0
- Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks: 'Mirror' approach reflects important role of humans in dog training - 0
- Thomas Sowell: The media and the mob - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Motor Speedway to again host two Sprint Cup Series weekends in 2015 - 0
- St. Anselm football players practice ini August heat - 0
- White, Glenn lift Fisher Cats over Harrisburg, 6-4 - 0
- KSC field hockey first in coaches poll - 0
- New England Patriots guard Mankins traded to Tampa for TE Wright - 0
- NH Fisher Cat Lee still striving for making it to the major leagues - 0
- Former city restaurateur gets jail sentence for sex assault - 0
- Former high school art teacher gets suspended sentence in drug case - 0
- New Manchester school district standards to give teachers more leeway - 0
Market Basket: 'So close, yet so far'
Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner
KSC field hockey first in coaches poll
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate