Home » News » Politics » Town Meetings
Troy voters accept community center donation
About 75 voters turned out to the town meeting Wednesday night.
The Samuel E. Paul Community Center is planned to be built at the Samuel E. Paul War Memorial Recreation Area.
The recreation area is locally known as the Sand Dam, and includes a pond, basketball courts, baseball field and a skate park, which will also be upgraded as part of the project.
The center would have a large main room with a divider for meetings, a full size kitchen, bathrooms and a cellar for storage.
The school district includes Fitzwilliam, Gilsum, Richmond, Troy, Roxbury and Swanzey. The towns of Surry and Sullivan withdrew from the district over the past few years.
Troy town officials say according to state law a petition article cannot change a school district formula, but the state Board of Education let the change go through anyway, Matson said.The town is currently appealing the matter in Cheshire County Superior Court.
“Withdrawal from the school district cooperative by Troy makes absolutely no financial sense for a couple of basic reasons,” he said.
There are ongoing efforts to reduce the cost per student in the district, which has one of the highest per student costs in the state, Thackston said. And like other school districts Monadnock is facing a decline in enrollment.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads