Home » News » Politics » Town Meetings
Troy voters accept community center donation
About 75 voters turned out to the town meeting Wednesday night.
The Samuel E. Paul Community Center is planned to be built at the Samuel E. Paul War Memorial Recreation Area.
The recreation area is locally known as the Sand Dam, and includes a pond, basketball courts, baseball field and a skate park, which will also be upgraded as part of the project.
The center would have a large main room with a divider for meetings, a full size kitchen, bathrooms and a cellar for storage.
The school district includes Fitzwilliam, Gilsum, Richmond, Troy, Roxbury and Swanzey. The towns of Surry and Sullivan withdrew from the district over the past few years.
Troy town officials say according to state law a petition article cannot change a school district formula, but the state Board of Education let the change go through anyway, Matson said.The town is currently appealing the matter in Cheshire County Superior Court.
“Withdrawal from the school district cooperative by Troy makes absolutely no financial sense for a couple of basic reasons,” he said.
There are ongoing efforts to reduce the cost per student in the district, which has one of the highest per student costs in the state, Thackston said. And like other school districts Monadnock is facing a decline in enrollment.
READER COMMENTS: 9
- Manchester school district makes bid to run Job Corps center - 2
- NEASC votes to reaccredit Central High - 1
- Londonderry school policy updates sought - 0
- New schedule feature will provide Nashua students with opportunities - 0
- Manchester forums will allow public to question principal finalists - 0
- Mount Washington College to close 2 campuses - 1
- Manchester education standards proposal derided at public hearing - 6
- Proposed Common Core alternative will get public review tonight - 6
- New headmaster eager to take the reins at Pinkerton - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Only a freshman, Kennedy excelled on the track - 0
- Looking Back With Aurore Eaton: The Manchester Opera House makes its stunning debut - 0
- Another View -- John Dumais: Mandatory GMO labeling is all cost, no benefit - 0
- What’s the rush? Executive Council follows Pelosi plan - 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats prove point - 0
- Evan Turner, Celtics see upside in new deal - 0
- Thunder take two from Fisher Cats - 0
- Ortiz, Drew (4 RBIs each) lead Red Sox hit parade against Blue Jays - 0
- Nashua settles suit over gas collection system - 0
Market Basket workers urged to 'shut it down'; deposed CEO urges fired workers be given jobs back
Shaheen's record: On insurance, it is dismal
Anti-SUV flop: Americans love utility
U.S. appeals courts issue conflicting rulings on Obamacare exchange subsidies such as NH's