Home » News » Public Safety
Fire ravages Cornish home
Firefighters responded to 300 Center Road at 12:31 p.m., Cornish Fire Chief Scott Reuthe said Monday night.
When firefighters arrived, they found “the side toward the road was completely engulfed in flames on the outside,” Reuthe said of the home.
Investigators from the state Fire Marshal’s Office spent three hours investigating the cause of the blaze.
Preliminary findings indicate an improperly disposed of cigarette at the front door, underneath the front deck, caused the fire, Reuthe said.
They were alerted to the blaze because of working smoke detectors in the house, and were able to get out safely, Reuthe said.
Along with first-alarm mutual aid responders Plainfield and Meriden, fire crews came from Claremont and Vermont, including Ascutney, West Windsor and Windsor.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Missing since October, Abby Hernandez is home - 6
- Keene police continue pedestrian collision investigation - 0
- State bomb squad explodes suspicious package in Salem parking lot - 0
- Bodies of downed plane's passengers leave Ukraine crash site for return to Netherlands - 0
- 30-year-old man found dead in Laconia apartment - 0
- AG: Missing Conway teen Abigail Hernandez reunited with family - 10
- Maine man hurt in ATV accident in northern NH - 0
- Police say North Country motor vehicle deaths down - 0
- Hiker rescued from Mount Washington - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Only a freshman, Kennedy excelled on the track - 0
- Looking Back With Aurore Eaton: The Manchester Opera House makes its stunning debut - 0
- Another View -- John Dumais: Mandatory GMO labeling is all cost, no benefit - 0
- What’s the rush? Executive Council follows Pelosi plan - 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats prove point - 0
- Evan Turner, Celtics see upside in new deal - 0
- Thunder take two from Fisher Cats - 0
- Ortiz, Drew (4 RBIs each) lead Red Sox hit parade against Blue Jays - 0
- Nashua settles suit over gas collection system - 0
Market Basket workers urged to 'shut it down'; deposed CEO urges fired workers be given jobs back
Shaheen's record: On insurance, it is dismal
Anti-SUV flop: Americans love utility
U.S. appeals courts issue conflicting rulings on Obamacare exchange subsidies such as NH's