UPDATE: Trucking company takes responsibility for diesel fuel mix-up
A worker from Gaftek LLC, a petroleum service company, works at the Manchester Mart gas station on Monday. (DAVID LANE/UNION LEADER)
Abenaqui Carriers posted a note on its website that tells customers of the Manchester Mart at 738 Hooksett Road what to do if their car was contaminated by gas or diesel purchased at the station after 1:30 p.m. Sunday.
“We apologize for this inconvenience and we hope to resolve it as soon as possible,” the notice concludes.
During a Sunday afternoon delivery, diesel was apparently placed in the storage tank for regular gasoline, and gasoline was placed in the diesel tank, said Taif Nouri, manager of Manchester Mart and Gas. Nouri said he’s heard from about 20 customers so far and referred them to Abenaqui.
“They (Abenaqui) are working on accommodating each customer,” said Nouri, whose store is an unbranded Cumberland Farms operation. “Cumberland Farms is not the one who made the mistake. It’s Abenaqui.”
Nouri said his location resumed selling fuel as of this morning. Overnight, a cleaning company flushed out the storage and pumping equipment and replaced filters.
Nouri said none of his customers was angry.
“They were cooperative. They understand what happened; it was a mistake,” he said.
Or, a customer can wait for Abenaqui to contact them.
The telephone number for Great West is 800-228-8602, and the claim number is H06245.
"We think diesel was delivered in Super (gasoline) and Super in diesel," said Rick Fernald, who said he works for Gulf. Fernald said Manchester Mart is an unbranded site owned by Cumberland Farms.
One customer who spoke to management said they pledged to reimburse any repair bills. Catherine Whittle said she drove home after filling her 2003 Honda CRV on Sunday night.
AAA towed it to a local mechanic, who said the problem appeared serious. She had it towed to another mechanic in Massachusetts.
Billy Roberts, a mechanic at Henry's Sunoco, said he looked at one car that had diesel in the tank. He said the car's engine and fuel system will have to be cleaned out. The fuel tank has to be removed; that can be expensive, depending on the car model, he said.
"It's going to be an expensive fix," he said.
On Monday, technicians for the petroleum installation company Gaftek were working at the facility. Meanwhile, Whittle said she wants more than just her repair bill paid.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding? - 6
- Charles Arlinghaus: NH's job problem needs more than one fix - 5
- Pat Buchanan: In Scotland, it's economic man vs. tribal man - 0
- Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable - 80
- Deroy Murdock: Stuff the Obama lunch tax - 2
- David Harsanyi: The senators who really threaten America - 1
- Your Turn, NH -- Ted Menswar Jr.: How Manchester pulled together to honor one of its greats - 1
- Jonah Goldberg: Is the Islamic State really un-Islamic? - 5
- George Will: Scotland's epic vote - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Kuster, Shea-Porter split on vote to arm Syrian rebels - 0
- Man arrested in White Park stabbing in Concord - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition at Maine hospital following crash on Route 125 in Rochester - 0
- Rochester 10-year-old, grandmother escape fire in home with no smoke detectors - 0
- Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester - 0
- Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too - 3
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Modified tour is shortened - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Pats wary of veteran playmaker Woodson - 0
- College Football: Expect offense when Richmond, UNH meet - 0
Keene man charged with assault on 2-year-old
Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding?
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too
Every vote counts: Here is the proof