Waiting list long for new arts charter school in Nashua
The school held a lottery for enrollment Monday morning at Nashua Public Library, and 100 names were drawn from a pool of 227 children whose families signed up for kindergarten through grade four. According to the school’s co-founder, Karin Cevasco, who is now chairwoman of the board of trustees, parents have until May 1 to return enrollment packets, so some additional places may become available.
Although the state Dept. of Education has approved the school’s three-year enrollment and growth plan that calls for adding grades five and six in September 2015, and grades seven and eight in 2016, interest from families with middle school children has been strong, and the board is hoping to add more classes this fall.
The school will be located at 591 West Hollis St., the site of the former Dartmouth-Hitchcock Pediatric Center.
Although Dartmouth-Hitchcock was not interested in owning and leasing the building, a group of investors and supporters of Gate City Charter School were, and they purchased the property. The board is now working with architects and technical engineers on a list of renovations.
The board is also now in the process of searching for a school director and hiring classroom teachers and other support staff. Despite the three years of time and energy that went into launching the school and all the work that remains to be done before September, no one is complaining.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Three named to Manchester school posts - 0
- Derry Early Education Program to relocate - 0
- Manchester panel OKs new academic standards, despite Common Core criticism - 2
- Nashua school staff see tests as key to tracking student growth - 0
- Two Manchester schools off 'priority' list - 0
- Nashua officials seek advice on issue of student cellphone searches vs. privacy - 9
- Manchester school district makes bid to run Job Corps center - 2
- NEASC votes to reaccredit Central High - 1
- Londonderry school policy updates sought - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester man injured in Ohio helicopter crash - 0
- Dover man sought in Rochester shooting - 1
- Fed is in no rush to raise rates; S&P, Nasdaq end higher - 0
- Sturm Ruger shares suffer steepest dip in 5 months as gun sales wane - 0
- Lawyer takes stand in his own defense at sex assault trial - 0
- Manchester-based refugee group says it's too early to expand to Seacoast - 0
- Supporters are now 'Abby Strong' - 1
- Trial involving former Derry town administrator delayed - 0
- Garcia, Lambert clash during GOP District 2 congressional debate - 0
Market Basket community waits and watches
Derry woman arrested after police pursuit
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride