Home » News » Public Safety
March 18. 2014 2:24PM
MANCHESTER - Authorities identified the man rescued Saturday from a burning Front Street apartment building as 48-year-old Thomas Belliveau. Firefighters pulled an unconscious Belliveau out of his burning first floor apartment at 298 Front St. Saturday night just before midnight. He was revived and then airlifted to Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, where he was listed in good condition Tuesday afternoon. A dozen people were left homeless by the blaze, reported about 11:50 p.m. Saturday. Fire officials said it started because a pan of oil was left on a hot stove in a first floor kitchen. Fire officials said the balloon framing in the 130-year-old building allowed flames to travel quickly from the first to the third floor. Damage was estimated at $140,000. Twelve people, including four children, were displaced because of the heavy damage. Previous story follows:
UPDATED: Man seriously hurt in Manchester fire Saturday is in Boston hospital
MANCHESTER — The first firefighters to arrive at a burning apartment house early Sunday morning pulled an unconscious man from the burning building and revived him outside, restoring his heartbeat.
The fire at 298 Front St. broke out about 1:45 a.m. Firefighters on Engine 5 arrived four minutes after the alarm was sounded and immediately entered the building.
"They discovered the male lying unconscious on the floor of the first-floor apartment," Deputy Fire Chief Michael Gamache said.
He said the crew — Lt. Michael Smith and firefighters Robert Stemska, Charles Morin and Gary Ducharme — administered CPR and revived the man. He was taken to a Manchester hospital and then airlifted to Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston.
The 2½-story building was declared uninhabitable and was boarded up Sunday morning.
A dozen residents, four children and eight adults, escaped the fire without injury. They were assisted by the Red Cross in finding a place to stay.
The fire apparently started in the first-floor apartment when a pan of cooking oil that had been left heating on a stove began to burn. The unconscious man was found in that apartment, Gamache said.
He said the 19th-century building construction allowed the fire to spread quickly and easily to the rest of the building.
Damage to the structure was estimated at $140,000. The building had been owned by NCID Properties LLC, a Windham firm headed by Donald Combs, since 2012.
- Bill Smith, New Hampshire Union Leader
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Weare Deputy Chief Sean Kelly set to manage Weare Police Department - 0
- Lizard in food sends 300 schoolchildren to hospital - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Communications giant chips in for generator for Derry FD - 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition after crash in Rochester - 0
- Manchester police officers to be honored for work in unresolved West Side stabbing death - 5
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vailas rallies UNH football to 29-26 win over Richmond - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Raiders should be tucked away early - 0
- St. Anselm football wins home opener, goes to 3-0 - 0
- SNHU golfer Nutter earns weekly honor - 0
- Dover's Helliwell wins ACT Invitational - 0
- Concord, Pinkerton, Coe-Brown runners win - 0
- Nashua South gets on track by beating Merrimack - 0
- Pinkerton stuffs Salem late, holds on - 0
- Dartmouth football wins opener over Central Conn., 35-25 - 0
Goodell vows domestic violence change
Goodell vows domestic violence change
Sorry, no question available