Size of Dyn's proposed Millyard sign is sticking point for Manchester officials
A rendering of the proposed Dyn sign that the company wants to place atop 150 Dow St. in the Manchester Millyard. (COURTESY)
"It was really keeping in spirit with the Millyard. It shows the heritage and a connection to the future," Chynoweth said Tuesday. He said the company is passionate about erecting a sign, and internal discussions are underway.
Last Thursday, the Zoning Board of Adjustment turned down a variance that would allow the sign on the roof of Dyn headquarters at 150 Dow St. The Manchester Heritage Commission had previously OK'd plans for the sign.
"The size of the sign is the problem," said William Bevelaqua, zoning board chairman. He suggested it be shrunk in half. City regulations say a sign can be 500 square feet in the Millyard; the Dyn sign was calculated at 1,470 square feet.
"It was a sign of progress, a sign of vibrancy. It was big on the past, big on the future," Chynoweth said.
However, the owner of the 540 Commercial St. building worried that one variance would lead to others, and the Millyard would end up looking like Coney Island.
The vote against the variance was 4-1.
READER COMMENTS: 6
- Surprise, surprise: Obamacare funds abortions - 56
- Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over - 6
- USNH's raw deal: Part deux - 2
- Every vote counts: Here is the proof - 5
- Burning rubber: And public dollars - 0
- Hassan was right: 'Bullying' bill goes too far - 12
- Strategery: A war by any other name - 28
- Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.? - 6
- Public be damned: Litchfield latest example - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 0
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
- Hampstead's Suess ready for Whelen Modified race - 0
- College Football: Big Green kick off season vs. Cent. Connecticut - 0
- Son says shooting of mom during DEA raid was a mistake - 10
- Londonderry Rotary to host forum next week - 0
Supporters eager for Hillary's return to NH
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Ayotte pushes bill to combat 'spice'