Proposed rules a coup for Manchester chicken lovers?
Michael Rennie Jr. and his grandmother Alice Ward hold a chicken in this 2012 file photo taken in Manchester. (Union Leader)
Ward 1 Alderman Joyce Craig, the chairman of the Administration Committee, said she was concerned that the city didn't have the "processes in place" for a licensing system. "I wanted to do something that would allow people to have chickens with as little regulation as possible," she said.
At the committee meeting on Tuesday, Jane Beaulieu, a local activist and Democratic state representative, urged aldermen to create a legal framework for keeping chickens.
"I don't think they should have to get the approval of the neighborhood. If someone has a dog, or two or three, do they need to get the OK from their neighbors? And they can be much more of a nuisance than chickens," she said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester's bike culture shifts into high gear - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Central buddies play on - 1
- DIY addition draws city's, neighbors' ire - 6
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Negroni family lays claim to namesake cocktail - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: West Side neighborhood loses trees and backyard privacy for the summer - 1
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Southside Middle School, where nary a gripe will be heard - 5
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Take a walk through Manchester's history - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Building owner says it's not easy being a landlord - 2
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: 50 years later, a constant ringing - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Patriots Notebook: Physical Browner brings it - 0
- Heroes all? A word cheapened by overuse - 2
- City Matters: Market Basket workers' outlook challenges the skeptics among us - 1
- Punch line: The NFL blows it - 1
- George Will: A conservative internationalism - 0
- Sox Beat: Red Sox haven't made a deal for Lester — yet - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: The Democrats' cynical impeachment play - 0
- Drew Cline: Home is where the really competent governing is done - 1
- Two GOP heavyweights try to get NH fired up about 2014 elections - 0
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Heroes all? A word cheapened by overuse
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Market Basket workers' outlook challenges the skeptics among us
Punch line: The NFL blows it
Havenstein says he has always opposed Obamacare, though company he led was paid to implement parts of it
George Will: A conservative internationalism