Proposed rules a coup for Manchester chicken lovers?
Michael Rennie Jr. and his grandmother Alice Ward hold a chicken in this 2012 file photo taken in Manchester. (Union Leader)
Ward 1 Alderman Joyce Craig, the chairman of the Administration Committee, said she was concerned that the city didn't have the "processes in place" for a licensing system. "I wanted to do something that would allow people to have chickens with as little regulation as possible," she said.
At the committee meeting on Tuesday, Jane Beaulieu, a local activist and Democratic state representative, urged aldermen to create a legal framework for keeping chickens.
"I don't think they should have to get the approval of the neighborhood. If someone has a dog, or two or three, do they need to get the OK from their neighbors? And they can be much more of a nuisance than chickens," she said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHGOP's personhood plank praised, slammed - 2
- State Real Estate Commission chairman resigns his post - 0
- Gov. Jindal joins Havenstein on campaign trail - 0
- NH law prohibits displaying votes on social media - 1
- Salem man presented with Polish award - 0
- State law prohibits displaying completed ballots on social media sites - 0
- Nominees named to energy facility approval board - 0
- Executive Council tables action on Pennichuck bond plan until Oct. 1 meeting - 0
- House fails to override three Gov. Hassan vetoes - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Body of woman found under Claremont bridge - 0
- Woman sentenced to a year in jail for crash - 0
- New tech course open to students in Londonderry - 0
- UPDATED: Nashua man accused of beating girlfriend - 0
- Developer granted permit for wind tower in Alexandria - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Man faces charge of simple assault against son’s mother - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer: Bedford, Concord deadlock - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer: Central shows title mettle - 0
- Dave D'onofrio Patriots Notebook: Don't expect Patriots to fix this - 0
Hillary Clinton to join Shaheen fundraiser
Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance
State surplus isn't big enough
Weare police sergeant's firing rescinded
Planned Parenthood endorses Hassan
By the horn: Feds owe NH man an explanation