Proposed rules a coup for Manchester chicken lovers?
Michael Rennie Jr. and his grandmother Alice Ward hold a chicken in this 2012 file photo taken in Manchester. (Union Leader)
Ward 1 Alderman Joyce Craig, the chairman of the Administration Committee, said she was concerned that the city didn't have the "processes in place" for a licensing system. "I wanted to do something that would allow people to have chickens with as little regulation as possible," she said.
At the committee meeting on Tuesday, Jane Beaulieu, a local activist and Democratic state representative, urged aldermen to create a legal framework for keeping chickens.
"I don't think they should have to get the approval of the neighborhood. If someone has a dog, or two or three, do they need to get the OK from their neighbors? And they can be much more of a nuisance than chickens," she said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- State Sen. David Boutin apologizes for lapse in judgment - 16
- New victim protections passed by Legislature celebrated - 0
- Gov. Hassan asks agency heads for conservative budgets - 2
- Hassan runs first ad as GOP claims more irregularities - 0
- Interim IT, NH tourism heads approved - 0
- Manchester lawyer urged to seek District 16 Senate seat - 0
- NH July revenues prompt spending warning - 0
- Gov. Hassan set to nominate acting IT, state tourism chiefs - 0
- Gov. Hassan to nominate acting IT, tourism chiefs - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Officials hire principal for Golden Brook school - 0
- Seniors help students start year on the right foot, with the write stuff - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
- Upcoming selectmen's meeting stirring controversy among Bow's firefighters - 1
- Manchester police to hold ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event - 0
- Manchester police officer finds gun in cyclist’s backpack - 2
- President Obama: Rescue attempt of NH-based journalist James Foley failed - 6
Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies