Home » News » Politics » State Government
Bill would immunize doctors who report on unfit drivers
Under House Bill 263, the report would have to be based on an evaluation.
The bill would still allow anyone to report someone they believe is unfit to drive, but only licensed medical professionals would have immunity.
The bill’s sponsor, Tara Sad, D-Walpole, said earlier that she wants to encourage medical care providers to report those who should not be driving, instead of being leery of a potential lawsuit.
“To encourage doctors to violate doctor patient confidentiality and become an agent of the state is chilling,” said Rep. Tim O’Flaherty, D-Manchester.
Originally, the bill would have establish a committee to study the reinstating mandatory driving tests for license renewals after 75, but the proposal was opposed by groups representing the elderly, who said it was discriminatory.
Sad said the bill comes after the widow of a man killed in an accident in Westmoreland called her. Bette Champney’s husband was one of two motorcyclists killed during a memorial run for fallen soldier, Army Spc. Justin Rollins of Newport, who was killed in a roadside bomb in Iraq in 2007.
House Bill 263 supporters said it does not target elderly drivers, but anyone unfit to drive for medical or mental reasons. The bill is supported by the American Association of Retired Persons and the New Hampshire Medical Society.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- $11 million requested for priority city school projects - 1
- Berlin considers synthetic marijuana ban - 1
- New year could bring higher costs for members of Claremont Community Center - 0
- Retirement system ruling gets thumbs up from Moody's - 4
- Rates for Hudson recreation programs may be increasing - 0
- Hudson selectmen approve ambulance fee increases - 0
- Derry Council revises tax cut goal - 0
- Londonderry board rejects workforce housing variances - 0
- Derry Administrator opposes council goal of cutting Derry tax rate - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads