Home » News » Politics » State Government
Senate Finance Committee backs gas tax hike
The vote comes with an agreement to use the more than $32 million in estimated additional annual revenue to repay bonds to complete the Interstate 93 expansion project from Salem to Manchester and to fix the state’s road and bridges.
The agreement would allow the state to secure about $80 million in Grant Anticipation Revenue Vehicle, or GARVEE, bonds or bonds to replace the Sarah Mildred Long Bridge in Portsmouth, and would use $40 million in federal funds earmarked for that project to help pay for the I-93 expansion.
Under the plan, $8 million would go back to cities and towns as highway block grants over the next two years, $20 million would go for highway rehabilitation, $26 million for resurfacing, and nearly $30 million over the next four years to fix red listed bridges.
Committee members voting for the gas tax increase proposal were Sens. Peter Bragdon, R-Milford; Bob Odell, R-Lempster; Lou D’Allesandro, D-Manchester, and Sylvia Larsen, D-Concord.
The Senate previously voted 14-9 to preliminarily approve the bill, which was sent to the Senate Finance Committee for review.
Senate Bill 367 calls for the one-time increase to take effect July 1.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- David Harsanyi: The senators who really threaten America - 1
- Your Turn, NH -- Ted Menswar Jr.: How Manchester pulled together to honor one of its greats - 1
- Jonah Goldberg: Is the Islamic State really un-Islamic? - 1
- George Will: Scotland's epic vote - 1
- Charles Krauthammer: Obama's uncertain trumpet, again - 0
- Maureen McDonald: Ray Rice and the everyday problem of domestic violence - 1
- Another View -- Jason Bedrick: An important court victory for parents and taxpayers - 3
- Thomas Sowell: Mob rule economics is bad for everyone - 8
- George Will: Eviscerating the 1st Amendment is extremism - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pair accused in Hampstead home invasion also face witness tampering charges - 0
- Gunman hits Circle K convenience store in Durham - 0
- Suicide car bomber kills 3 foreign troops in Afghan capital; Taliban claims responsibility - 0
- City officials to review proposed 'spice' ban - 0
- Widow of chiropractor killed this summer says fatal shooting was no accident - 0
- Manchester's Delana Curtis is left out in the cold - 0
- Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable - 4
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Brady a realist - 0
- Burning rubber: And public dollars - 0
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
DWI license revocations
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Strategery: A war by any other name
Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.?
Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children