Medals for father who served in Navy in both World Wars
This photo of U.S. Navy Chief Petty Officer Frank E. Johnson - a veteran of World War I and World War II – is one of the many pictures which were kept by his daughter, Doris Walker, of Rochester, who received his service medals Thursday. (John Quinn)
On Thursday, U.S. Rep. Carol Shea-Porter, D-N.H., presented Walker with medals and honors her father, U.S. Navy Chief Petty Officer Frank E. Johnson, earned during World War I and World War II.
"He was about 18 when he came in (the Navy)," Walker said. "He couldn't get in when he was 17 because he was too young."
Shea-Porter said presenting medals is one of the best parts of her job.
"It's not the first time we've done this, but it's always emotional," Shea-Porter said, adding the medals are a narrative of the story of "how they saved the world."
"He represented us and this country in a way we all can be proud," Shea-Porter said, adding Johnson served on 11 different ships during his 27-year tenure in the Navy.
"We've never had a World War I medal – that's really special," Shea-Porter said, adding the collection of medals means "he answered the call not just once, but twice."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- State police targeting unsafe trucks, buses in 72-hour enforcement campaign - 0
- I-293 lane closures expected for next 2 weeks in Manchester - 0
- Another busy summer seen for I-93 construction - 2
- More in Keene paying for parking by cellphone - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 0
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A humbling — and inspiring — event - 0
- Developer says proposed LNG plant in Groveton 'on hold' - 0
- Motivation Matters: 'Giving 110 percent' says more than you think - 0
- Know the Law: Do I need a prenup? - 0
- Life's just a great big game for Dan Yarrington - 0
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
E-cigarettes find a market in NH
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH
Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee