Home » News » Public Safety
Officials investigate cause of abandoned house fire
The fire was phoned in by a passing motorist who initially thought he was in Sandown, according to a press release. The Rockingham County Dispatch Center quickly realized the incident was in Derry and alerted the Derry Fire Communications Center.
The first alarm came in at 2:25 a.m. and firefighters responded to the scene, which is across from 3 Drew Road. A Salem engine was automatically dispatched and responded to assist as Hampstead and Chester water tankers were also dispatched to the scene. Derry engines 1 and 3 were already involved in unrelated incidents but ultimately responded to the incident, according to fire officials.
On arrival, fire crews found an abandoned house completely engulfed in flames. Crews stayed back and used hoses to spray large amounts of water to the house. The fire was extinguished and crews performed an extensive overhaul of the house, removing exterior siding and cutting holes in it to gain access to several smoldering hot spots, fire officials said
The fire was contained to the house and no other structures were involved in the incident. No injuries were reported.
Firefighters were hindered in reaching the house as they had to walk through knee-deep snow.
The house sustained major damage and is considered a complete loss, according to fire officials.
The fire remains under investigation by the Derry Fire Prevention Bureau, with assistance from the Derry Police Department.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Dozens displaced by Manchester apartment building fire - 3
- Ossipee woman killed in late-night Moultonborough crash - 1
- Danville couple struggling to get back on feet after explosion - 2
- Farmington school evacuated for bomb threat; police say kids are safe - 0
- Claremont elementary school to get safer sidewalks - 0
- Fire leaves Derry family of four homeless - 0
- Homeless man rescues woman who jumped from Granite Street Bridge - 2
- Propane driver saved from waist-deep mud - 0
- Update: Men target practicing face felonies after report of shots fired in Hooksett - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onfrio's Patriots Notebook: Finding a way to win - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: NoNose gets readers talking like nobody's business - 0
- Know the Law: Your trust can be named beneficiary of an IRA - 0
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 0
- Old friends and a 'homeless angel' make for good stories anytime - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 1
- New coats warm city kids, firefighters' hearts - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Martin, Pinkerton top Salem in tournament - 0
- Inmate reported missing from Concord transitional unit - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
Tensions boil over after NYC police killings
'Everybody was extremely fortunate'