Mont Vernon's Preston continues to impress on "American Idol"
"I said, 'Alex, you've got to pursue this,' even though it went against the grain and logically, it went against everything I had been thinking up to that point," said Philbrick, of Mont Vernon.
It has been a long journey, but Preston's family is 100 percent supportive of him, as they knew for a long time that Preston was not going to give up on his dream of writing music and performing as a career.
On the heels of that was the "American Idol" competition — and Philbrick said he and his wife, Alice, knew this was the moment to encourage their son and persuade him to put it all on the line.
"You just hit the bullseye on the artistry target," Harry Connick Jr. told Preston, adding the 20-year-old from Mont Vernon is leading the pack of contestants and letting the world know what type of an artist he is — consistently each week.
Jennifer Lopez, who danced in her seat throughout much of the performance, told Preston that he evokes greatness, and reminds her of Buddy Holly.
Philbrick and other members of Preston's family intend to fly back to California this coming week to spend some time with Preston, a Souhegan High School graduate whose real name is Alex Preston Philbrick.
While Preston often feels pressure to pick the right song, Philbrick said his son does not feel pressure while on the stage.
Preston has already secured a spot on the show's summer concert tour.
To improve the chance of seeing your comment posted here or published in the New Hampshire Union Leader:
- Identify yourself. Accounts using fake or incomplete names are suspended regardless of the quality of posts.
- Say something new, stay on topic, keep it short.
- Links to outside URLs are discouraged, if used they should be on topic.
- Avoid comments in bad taste, write well, avoid using all capital letters
- Don't cite facts about individuals or businesses without providing a means to verify the claim
- If you see an objectionable comment please click the "Report Abuse" button and be sure to tell us why.
Note: Comments are the opinion of the respective poster and not of the publisher.Be the first to comment.