action:article | category:NEWS07 | adString:NEWS07 | zoneID:0
All Sections
action:article | category:NEWS07 | adString:NEWS07 | zoneID:67
Welcome guest, you have 2 views left. | Register | Sign In


Greasy rags in hot dryer ignite Valley Street jail fire; flames spread through dirty ductwork


MANCHESTER - Fire started by greasy rags left in a hot dryer and extended with the help of ductwork that had not been cleaned of an accumulation of lint cause $75,000 damage at the Hillsborough County Correctional Facility on Valley Street on Saturday night, fire officials said.

The fire broke out in a commercial dryer in the jail. District Fire Chief Al Poulin said the combination of grease-laden kitchen rags and the heat of the dryer cause the fire to begin. An accumulation of lint in the building's duct work allowed the fire to spread from the basement to the third floor, where the flames brough throught she seams of the duct work and ignited the roof.

In addition to the fire damage to the third floor and the basement, there was heavy water damage on the first and second floors. Poulin estimated the damage at $75,000.

One person was rescued from the area of the fire, but no injuries were reported..

action:article | category:NEWS07 | adString:NEWS07 | zoneID:88
action:article | category:NEWS07 | adString:NEWS07 | zoneID:64
action:article | category:NEWS07 | adString:NEWS07 | zoneID:2
action:article | category:NEWS07 | adString:NEWS07 | zoneID:

        

FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

More Public Safety


NH Angle - Public Safety