Home » News » Public Safety
Goats, chickens perish in four-alarm Gilmanton blaze
Susan Lunt, at right in grey hooded sweatshirt, walks away from her fire-damaged home and the remains of her barn at 1765 Route 140 in Gilmanton Iron Works Sunday. (DAN SEUFERT PHOTO)
As for the loss of her home, "there's just not a lot to say about it," she said, looking downward as she spoke.
"A passer-by saw it, and the person ran up to the door and told the homeowners their barn was on fire," he said.
"I called for a fourth alarm because of the heavy winds, the need for water and the need for manpower," he said.
"There was a very heavy volume of flames," he said. "The home is uninhabitable, and the barn burned to the ground."
Gilmanton firefighters were joined by firefighting and rescue crews from Alton, Barnstead, Belmont, Center Harbor, Chichester, Epsom, Gilford, Laconia, Meredith, Northwood, New Durham, Pittsfield, Tilton and Wolfeboro.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 2
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 3
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 2
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
- Salem family ldisplaced by house fire - 0
- Mother says Abigail in 'deteriorated' health - 17
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hassan vetoes bill to impose 'politeness' standards on public employees - 0
- Jailed man faces new charge for allegedly contacting witness - 0
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 4
- Nashua man arrested in Brookline stabbing - 0
- Cumberland Farms robbed; third store hit this month in Rochester - 0
- E-cigarettes find a market in NH - 1
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 5
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 5
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
Gorham man arrested for kidnapping Abigail
Voting in NH: Not just for NH residents
LNG plant put 'on hold'