Home » Opinion » Editorials
Shaheen's hypocrisy: Pledges come and go with her
In New Hampshire, there is only one Pledge. It is taken by candidates for governor who truly believe that New Hampshire is different from other states in part because of its small government, kept small by the lack of a broadbased sales or income tax. Hence the Pledge to veto any state sales or income tax that should make it to the governor's desk.
Running against incumbent U.S. Sen. John Sununu in 2008, Shaheen was more than happy with all the money that third-party liberal groups across the country spent on the race. Now, with a multimillion dollar warchest of her own, Shaheen is suddenly asking for a new pledge.
Gall? Audacity? Chutzpah? Take your pick. The woman's hypocrisy is breathtaking.
Next thing you know, Shaheen will seek a pledge that candidates reside in New Hampshire for a decade before seeking to serve in elective office. Of course, most people from New Hampshire are from somewhere else (Shaheen included). They move here because they want to.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- $11 million requested for priority city school projects - 1
- Berlin considers synthetic marijuana ban - 1
- New year could bring higher costs for members of Claremont Community Center - 0
- Retirement system ruling gets thumbs up from Moody's - 4
- Rates for Hudson recreation programs may be increasing - 0
- Hudson selectmen approve ambulance fee increases - 0
- Derry Council revises tax cut goal - 0
- Londonderry board rejects workforce housing variances - 0
- Derry Administrator opposes council goal of cutting Derry tax rate - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads