Home » Opinion » Editorials
Shaheen's hypocrisy: Pledges come and go with her
In New Hampshire, there is only one Pledge. It is taken by candidates for governor who truly believe that New Hampshire is different from other states in part because of its small government, kept small by the lack of a broadbased sales or income tax. Hence the Pledge to veto any state sales or income tax that should make it to the governor's desk.
Running against incumbent U.S. Sen. John Sununu in 2008, Shaheen was more than happy with all the money that third-party liberal groups across the country spent on the race. Now, with a multimillion dollar warchest of her own, Shaheen is suddenly asking for a new pledge.
Gall? Audacity? Chutzpah? Take your pick. The woman's hypocrisy is breathtaking.
Next thing you know, Shaheen will seek a pledge that candidates reside in New Hampshire for a decade before seeking to serve in elective office. Of course, most people from New Hampshire are from somewhere else (Shaheen included). They move here because they want to.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Politics of choice: A word stripped of its meaning - 10
- Cataldo for Senate: A keeper for District 6 - 0
- What rising tide? Kuster vs. Kennedy - 20
- On Obamacare: Shaheen doesn't get it - 49
- No news is bad news: Hassan goes to CDC school - 9
- No right to know: Our silent superintendent - 1
- Boutin for Senate: Constituent service for District 16 - 5
- Sanborn for Senate: The obvious choice in District 9 - 2
- Secret arrests: Names contradict ICE narrative - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- John H. Sununu: Voters, pick a governor who is serious about the Pledge - 3
- Team Obama: Faking right, voting left - 9
- Charles Arlinghaus: This government 'investment' is a bad idea - 2
- Manchester mayor asks aldermen to hold abandonded property owners accountable - 0
- Residents given Londonderry playing field priority - 0
- NH has 1,300 guardrail ends targeted in federal safety suit - 1
- Carignan promoted to deputy police chief in Nashua - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Meat cleaver has key role in threats, assault case - 0
- Mass. man charged with robbing Tobacco Junction store in Pelham - 0
Locked in a dead heat, Shaheen, Brown spar
NH's back-road rest areas fading away
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
Team Obama: Faking right, voting left
Keene riots a focus of gubernatorial debate
Fixing Obamacare: Shaheen offers no way out
Preventing riots: What should Keene do?
Health costs up for Manchester