Campton fire Sunday night on farmhouse roof
CAMPTON -; Firefighters responded to a farmhouse fire at 117 Stickney Road Sunday night. The call came in just before 9:30 p.m. as a fire on the roof.
The home is a well-known farmhouse in town sitting on a hill at the top of Stickney Road, said Campton-Thornton Fire and Rescue Fire Chief Daniel Defosses.
Campton-Thornton toned the call out as a first-alarm fire, concerned the roof fire could spread quickly, especially with the wind on the hill, Defosses said.
Campton-Thornton firefighters were able to knock down the fire within minutes.
Firefighters from Woodstock used a ladder truck to remove the affected shingles from the roof. Using a thermal-imaging camera, firefighters detected no heat.
“Basically the fire was out at that point,” Defosses said.
“It was a small fire. Basically what happened there was a chimney fire. It looks like some of the embers from the chimney fell on the shingles and started the roof fire,” Defosses said. “No injuries, very little damage, just a few shingles basically.”