Deroy Murdock: Just look at what those evil Koch brothers do with their money
"These two brothers," the Nevadan said Feb. 26 on the Senate floor "are about as un-American as anyone that I can imagine."
"They make up the heart and the thinking in the minds of those who would belong to the Ku Klux Klan," singer/activist Harry Belafonte fumed last November. "They are white supremacists. They are men of evil. They have names. ... The Koch brothers — that's their name."
David Koch survived a 1991 plane crash that killed 34 people, including everyone else in first class. He soon was diagnosed with, and then endured, prostate cancer. These challenges reinforced his passion for medical philanthropy. Among $506 million in such gifts, his major grants include: $25 million to Houston's M.D. Anderson Cancer Center to eliminate genitourinary malignancies; $100 million for cancer research at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology; $100 million for a new ambulatory care center at New York Presbyterian Hospital. This donation actually triggered an outbreak of mental illness among leftists who decried Koch's nine-digit check.
• The Kochs back the arts.
Elizabeth B. Koch, Charles' wife, launched the Koch Cultural Trust. It has furnished $1.8 million in grants to artists and musicians with ties to Kansas.
• The Kochs also steward the environment.
Love or loathe Charles and David Koch's politics, only a liar could deny the tremendous social good that their money secures. Rather than quietly collect mansions and yachts, they spend billions to school students, cure diseases, cultivate artists, and clean the Earth.
Deroy Murdock is a Fox news contributor and a media fellow with the Hoover Institution on War, Revolution and Peace at Stanford University. He has addressed the Koch Summer Fellows Program and collaborated for decades with market-oriented non-profits that enjoy the Kochs' generosity.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Brandon Ross: A sure-fire way to eradicate NH's 'spice' problem - 0
- Another View: Jeanne Shaheen was M.I.A. on VA reform - 24
- Paul Holloway: NH's community colleges prepare for a new era - 2
- Betsy McCaughey: More ways Washington squanders your money - 5
- Pat Buchanan: Let Congress vote on Iraq War III - 1
- Who is minding those who mind the store at NH State House? - 4
- Jonah Goldberg: America's selective Libertarianism - 6
- Charles Krauthammer: Why Hillary got it right - 11
- George Will: President Obama in a stew over inversions - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Officials hire principal for Golden Brook school - 0
- Seniors help students start year on the right foot, with the write stuff - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
- Upcoming selectmen's meeting stirring controversy among Bow's firefighters - 1
- Manchester police to hold ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event - 0
- Manchester police officer finds gun in cyclist’s backpack - 2
- President Obama: Rescue attempt of NH-based journalist James Foley failed - 7
Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies