Home » News » Politics » State Government
Bill would make unlicensed driving in NH a misdemeanor
House Bill 1135 would make it a misdemeanor instead of a violation for driving without a license. Currently, someone charged with driving after his or her license has been suspended or revoked is charged with misdemeanor, but if the person never had a license the charge is a violation, the same as a speeding ticket.
Elise Bouchard, 52, of Danvers, Mass. and Pamela Wells, 60, of South Hamilton, Mass. were killed in the accident, and Uwe Uhmeyer, 60, of Essex, Mass. and Margo Heigh, 54, of Danvers, were injured.
Rep. Michael Sylvia, R-Belmont, argued the punishment does not fit the crime, noting someone could go to jail for up to a year for driving without a license, but was told that was not true.
“Operating a motor vehicle on highway of state without a license constitutes a treat to public safety,” he said.
The bill now goes to the Senate.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Rye insurance expert to be liaison between former LGC subsidiary, state regulator - 0
- Potential deal between ex-LGC subsidiaries, regulators - 0
- HealthTrust's tax-free status still in limbo - 0
- Maine governor bemoans move of 8 child immigrants to his state - 3
- Revenue from gas tax increase ramps up paving state highways - 1
- Executive Council approves Medicaid expansion contract - 0
- 'Aerospace corridor' eyed between Quebec and New England - 0
- Vanity plate rules seek balance - 25
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles M. Arlinghaus: Taxation without representation again? - 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 1
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Market Basket community waits and watches
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride