Home » News » Public Safety
Firefighters looking into cause of apartment fire in Rye Wednesday
RYE – The quick action of area firefighters prevented a first-alarm fire from spreading through a two-story apartment building along Route 1A Wednesday morning.
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded at 8:55 a.m. after a neighbor reported a fully involved structure fire at 277 Pioneer Road – Route 1A, according to Fire. Lt. Ron Horton.
Horton said firefighters were able to get the fire under control in about 10 minutes, which definitely saved the rest of the structure. He added there was an apartment on each floor.
“Basically, the fire was contained to one room,” Horton said, adding firefighters believe the fire began in a first-floor bedroom.
As a result, Horton said the bedroom sustained extensive damage, and the first floor has smoke and heat damage. He added the second floor was unaffected for the most part.
Horton said fire investigators are in the process of determining a cause.
He said local crews were assisted at the scene by firefighters from New Castle, North Hampton and Portsmouth. He added firefighters from Greenland and Pease provided station coverage.
Police from Rye and New Castle shut down a portion of Route 1A for about 30 minutes, but officers were able to divert traffic around the scene, according to Horton.
Horton said the residents were not home at the time of the fire. He added firefighters did not find any pets inside and believe a family dog was at a day care.
Despite cold, windy conditions, no firefighters were injured at the scene, Horton said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 0
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 0
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Shaheen takes on illegal immigration - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help