Thomas Sowell: Republicans and blacks
Yet there are issues where Republicans have a big advantage over Democrats — if they will use that advantage. But an advantage that you don't use might as well not exist.
Minimum wage laws are another government-created disaster for minority young people.
Many people today would be surprised to learn that there were once years when the unemployment rate for black 16-year-olds and 17-year-olds was under 10 percent. But their unemployment rates have not been under 20 percent in more than half a century. In some years, their unemployment rate has been over 40 percent.
Republicans have failed to explain why the minimum wage laws that Democrats support are counterproductive for blacks. Worse yet, during the 2012 election campaign Mitt Romney advocated indexing the minimum wage for inflation, which would not only guarantee its bad effects, but would put an end to discussing those bad effects.
But, if Republicans can reduce the 90 percent of the black vote that goes to Democrats to 80 percent, that can be enough to swing a couple of close Congressional elections — as a start.
Thomas Sowell is a senior fellow at the Hoover Institution at Stanford University in Stanford, Calif. His website is www.tsowell.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Lakes Region commission sees less growth in region - 0
- Cheshire commissioners to gather public opinion on county nursing home plans - 0
- Nashua group recommends new police contract - 0
- Upper Valley deer population talk on tap - 0
- Waterville Valley nearing completion of water system upgrade and first public works garage - 0
- Merrimack council decides to save much of $854k surplus - 0
- Nashua Airport divisiveness prompts request for liaison - 0
- Nashua aldermen to consider communication upgrades - 0
- Bronstein Park policy questioned by NHCLU official - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Market Basket deal reached; Arthur T. Demoulas to return - 1
- Police mum on reported shooting in Manchester - 0
- Manchester men charged with drive-by shooting in Nashua - 0
- Multiple reports say deal reached for Arthur T. to buy Market Basket - 0
- Fisher Cats get behind early, fall to Senators - 0
- Sox downed on pinch-hit homer - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help