Cancer takes life of 2004 LHS graduate
Brian Winer, a 2004 graduate of Londonderry High School, died at Massachusetts General Hospital on Wednesday morning. He was 28.
A self-taught chef who dreamed of working in a restaurant since he was a child, Winer previously said he shared his love of all things culinary with his late father.When Winer was 22, he underwent surgery to remove a small melanoma spot on his neck and remained healthy for several years after.
His older sister, Jessica Leavitt, began reaching out to the surrounding community, setting up a website and Facebook page, Cook Up A Cure 4 Brian, to share Winer’s story while raising funds to assist with her brother’s increasing medical bills. Winer, who didn’t have health insurance, lived with family members during his illness.
“I’m always thinking ahead,” he said with a wink.
Winer underwent his most recent surgery in mid-February. A Facebook photograph dated Feb. 13 shows him reclined in a hospital bed at Mass General Hospital giving a “thumbs up” sign, his head heavily bandaged.
“Brian’s life was made special by all those who chose to share it with,” Leavitt said.
“We developed a wonderful relationship, and I will cherish him in my heart forever,” Plante said.
“He made us fight the fight with him,” Curtin said. “I’m gonna miss the fire and spunk.”
To improve the chance of seeing your comment posted here or published in the New Hampshire Union Leader:
- Identify yourself. Accounts using fake or incomplete names are suspended regardless of the quality of posts.
- Say something new, stay on topic, keep it short.
- Links to outside URLs are discouraged, if used they should be on topic.
- Avoid comments in bad taste, write well, avoid using all capital letters
- Don't cite facts about individuals or businesses without providing a means to verify the claim
- If you see an objectionable comment please click the "Report Abuse" button and be sure to tell us why.
Note: Comments are the opinion of the respective poster and not of the publisher.Be the first to comment.