Dunbarton home, shed destroyed in fire
DUNBARTON — A home on a long private road was destroyed by a fire Thursday, and a narrow passage made it difficult for fire tankers to access the site.
Dunbarton Fire Chief Jon Wiggin said the call came in at midnight, and Dunbarton, Goffstown, Bow, Weare, Hopkinton and Concord responded. He also needed more tankers and water and called in the Hooksett Fire Department to the two-alarm fire.
The home at 18 Jean Drive and a shed were destroyed, and the owner, Mark Rettig, told firefighters he was staining his kitchen floor and dropped a cigarette.
“He exited the house without his cellphone so there was a delay in getting to us,” said Wiggin. “The private road is 1,000 feet. There’s four houses on the non-town maintained road so it was very narrow and icy. We could only get one truck up the driveway and the tankers and water were down below. It was not a typical March night. It was like a January evening. The wind was howling and it was cold.”
The incident appears accidental, but is under investigation, said Wiggin. The damage to the home and a shed is estimated at $100,000. Rettig could not be contacted for comment.
One Bow firefighter was taken to the hospital after he fell on the ice and suffered a shoulder injury. Wiggin said the firefighter is in good condition.
The fire took nearly three hours to completely extinguish.
“We took it down in 45 minutes to an hour, and cleared it at 3:08 a.m.,” said Wiggin.