Home » News » Politics » State Government
Gas tax bill that would eliminate Merrimack tollbooth cruises through Senate
Senate Bill 367 would use the money to pay for the completion of the Interstate 93 expansion between Salem and Manchester, rebuild the Sarah Mildred Long Bridge between Maine and New Hampshire in Portsmouth and eliminate the Exit 12 ramp toll in Merrimack on the F.E. Everett Turnpike — a controversial proposal pushed by Sen. Peter Bragdon, R-Milford.
The Senate initially approved the bill, 14-9, on March 13 and sent it to its finance committee for review of how an estimated $32 million in revenue generated by the increased tax should be used.
Gov. Maggie Hassan praised the Senate vote.
Opponents of the increase said no matter how small, many residents of the state cannot afford it.
The Senate vote saw one Democrat join eight Republicans in opposing the bill, while five Republicans joined 10 Democrats in voting in favor. No one spoke against the increase on the Senate floor.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- St. Charles Church in Dover to be torn down - 0
- Tibetan monks make peace offering in Peterborough - 0
- Parishes to show support for priests this weekend - 0
- Bedford church helps African missionaries - 0
- Churches turn to social media to reach people - 0
- Salem church a step closer to expanded feeding capability - 0
- Beloved pastor, Citizen of the Year dies - 0
- New vicar general appointed to the Diocese of New England - 0
- Dover's St. Mary Academy gears up for annual auction, ugly sweater party - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Kuster's abortion lies: Claims against Garcia are untrue - 0
- Brown, Shaheen run hardest where support is deepest - 0
- Drew Cline: GOP missed opportunities could mean trouble on Tuesday - 0
- College Football: Big Green ready for tussle with Harvard - 0
- Report: Cubs will hire Joe Maddon as manager - 0
- Pastoral Counseling Services honors Good Samaritans - 0
- Stocks down a little after Fed move - 0
- Portsmouth retailer sells goods from across U.S. in a small 'pop-up shop' - 0
- Comcast settles lawsuit over overcharging cable TV subscribers - 0
The Obamaconomy: Shea-Porter shows its flaw