Home » News » Politics » State Government
Gas tax bill that would eliminate Merrimack tollbooth cruises through Senate
Senate Bill 367 would use the money to pay for the completion of the Interstate 93 expansion between Salem and Manchester, rebuild the Sarah Mildred Long Bridge between Maine and New Hampshire in Portsmouth and eliminate the Exit 12 ramp toll in Merrimack on the F.E. Everett Turnpike — a controversial proposal pushed by Sen. Peter Bragdon, R-Milford.
The Senate initially approved the bill, 14-9, on March 13 and sent it to its finance committee for review of how an estimated $32 million in revenue generated by the increased tax should be used.
Gov. Maggie Hassan praised the Senate vote.
Opponents of the increase said no matter how small, many residents of the state cannot afford it.
The Senate vote saw one Democrat join eight Republicans in opposing the bill, while five Republicans joined 10 Democrats in voting in favor. No one spoke against the increase on the Senate floor.
READER COMMENTS: 5
- Plaistow lawyer found not guilty on all charges in sex assault case - 0
- Vehicle crash on South Willow Street injures two - 0
- Man shot in Manchester; police search for shooter - 0
- Manchester woman accidentally rolls car into Candia pond - 0
- Portsmouth Herald sports editor accused of possessing child porn - 0
- Havenstein says he has always opposed Obamacare, though company he led was paid to implement parts of it - 3
- Some sex assault charges dismissed against former Nashua coach - 0
- Jury deliberating in Plaistow lawyer’s sex assault trial - 0
- Meriam Ibrahim, Sudanese family arriving in Manchester tonight - 2
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Heroes all? A word cheapened by overuse
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Market Basket workers' outlook challenges the skeptics among us
Punch line: The NFL blows it
Havenstein says he has always opposed Obamacare, though company he led was paid to implement parts of it
George Will: A conservative internationalism