Home » News » Politics » State Government
Gas tax bill that would eliminate Merrimack tollbooth cruises through Senate
Senate Bill 367 would use the money to pay for the completion of the Interstate 93 expansion between Salem and Manchester, rebuild the Sarah Mildred Long Bridge between Maine and New Hampshire in Portsmouth and eliminate the Exit 12 ramp toll in Merrimack on the F.E. Everett Turnpike — a controversial proposal pushed by Sen. Peter Bragdon, R-Milford.
The Senate initially approved the bill, 14-9, on March 13 and sent it to its finance committee for review of how an estimated $32 million in revenue generated by the increased tax should be used.
Gov. Maggie Hassan praised the Senate vote.
Opponents of the increase said no matter how small, many residents of the state cannot afford it.
The Senate vote saw one Democrat join eight Republicans in opposing the bill, while five Republicans joined 10 Democrats in voting in favor. No one spoke against the increase on the Senate floor.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John Stossel: Individual giving beats government giving - 3
- BANANAS and NH's energy needs - 5
- Gruber should have been Time's 'Person of the Year' - 5
- In NH, overhunting of RINOs is causing problems - 23
- Another View -- Shawn Jasper: It is time to get to work for the people of NH - 15
- Charles M. Arlinghaus: Read these books, OK? - 1
- Another View - Debra and Marc Tice: Give families a say in hostage policy - 1
- Thomas Sowell: Politicians betray us by betraying our protectors - 1
- Another View -- Ross Gittell and Jeremy Hitchcock: By focusing on student success, NH community colleges prove their value - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Arrest of dad at Gilford School Board meeting about Picoult book 'chilling' says judge, case dismissed - 5
- Police say Londonderry investigation related to Maine home invasion is ongoing - 0
- N.Y. man sentenced in sex assault of NH child in 1988 - 0
- Convicted murderer entitled to hearing on new DNA evidence after 42 years, Supreme Court rules - 2
- Farmington school evacuated for bomb threat; police say kids are safe - 0
- Two charged in thefts from parked cars in Manchester - 0
- Hudson man arrested in Nashua check-cashing scheme - 1
- Police investigating bank robbery in Nashua - 0
- Felony drug charge for Rochester man in crack cocaine case - 0
BANANAS and NH's energy needs
Enter to win tickets to see Tom Chapin
NH reacts to thaw with Cuba
Vermont's disaster: An Obamedy of errors
Arrest of dad at Gilford School Board meeting about Picoult book 'chilling' says judge, case dismissed
Convicted murderer entitled to hearing on new DNA evidence after 42 years, Supreme Court rules