Home » News » Politics » State Government
Gas tax bill that would eliminate Merrimack tollbooth cruises through Senate
Senate Bill 367 would use the money to pay for the completion of the Interstate 93 expansion between Salem and Manchester, rebuild the Sarah Mildred Long Bridge between Maine and New Hampshire in Portsmouth and eliminate the Exit 12 ramp toll in Merrimack on the F.E. Everett Turnpike — a controversial proposal pushed by Sen. Peter Bragdon, R-Milford.
The Senate initially approved the bill, 14-9, on March 13 and sent it to its finance committee for review of how an estimated $32 million in revenue generated by the increased tax should be used.
Gov. Maggie Hassan praised the Senate vote.
Opponents of the increase said no matter how small, many residents of the state cannot afford it.
The Senate vote saw one Democrat join eight Republicans in opposing the bill, while five Republicans joined 10 Democrats in voting in favor. No one spoke against the increase on the Senate floor.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Potential deal between ex-LGC subsidiaries, regulators - 0
- HealthTrust's tax-free status still in limbo - 0
- Maine governor bemoans move of 8 child immigrants to his state - 2
- Revenue from gas tax increase ramps up paving state highways - 1
- Executive Council approves Medicaid expansion contract - 0
- 'Aerospace corridor' eyed between Quebec and New England - 0
- Vanity plate rules seek balance - 25
- Gov. Hassan signs Paycheck Fairness Act - 0
- PILOT agreement allowed to stand after Hassan signs bill - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- E-cigarettes find a market in NH - 0
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 2
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 1
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A humbling — and inspiring — event - 0
- Developer says proposed LNG plant in Groveton 'on hold' - 2
- Motivation Matters: 'Giving 110 percent' says more than you think - 0
- Know the Law: Do I need a prenup? - 0
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
E-cigarettes find a market in NH
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH
Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee