Home » News » Politics » State Government
Casino for NH gets another chance at coming into being
The state Senate Thursday voted 15-9 to approve state Sen. Lou D'Allesandro's gaming bill that would allow two casinos to share 5,000 video slot machines and 240 table games, producing an estimated $168 million for the state.
The new proposal also adds $25.2 million in annual revenue sharing for cities and towns that was proposed as an amendment in the House but never came up after the bill was killed.
That bill, legalizing a single casino with up to 5,000 slot machines and 150 table games, was killed by the House, 173-144, two weeks ago.
During the 10-minute Senate debate on the bill, some senators said casino gambling is the wrong road to do down.
"SB 366 is the first serious legislative remedy to restore revenue sharing payments and is a much needed move to help lessen the burdens of local property taxpayers," said Rep. Ken Weyler, R-Kingston. "I am pleased to see the Senate move forward on a $25 million dollar remedy to the tax challenges our state faces."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Creating a place of honor for servicemen lost of sea - 0
- NH Veterans Briefs: Help sought to place cemetery wreaths - 0
- Mason man pens book on veterans - 0
- Non-profit receives grant to get veterans on the move - 0
- Housing vouchers are available for veterans - 0
- Bedford Women's Club to recognize veteran - 0
- Students, veterans will be recognized for making state tree decorations - 0
- NH Veterans Briefs: Sweeney Post events - 0
- Commentary- Mary Tamposi: Let's bring an end to homelessness among veterans - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: The fiscal mismanagement in Washington is a choice - 2
- 'Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus' - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Palker hat trick paces Bedford triumph - 0
- Police look for Laconia sub shop robber - 0
- Furious Celtics' rally falls short - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Slandering police: Racism in reverse
Police look for Laconia sub shop robber