Home » News » Politics » State Government
Casino for NH gets another chance at coming into being
The state Senate Thursday voted 15-9 to approve state Sen. Lou D'Allesandro's gaming bill that would allow two casinos to share 5,000 video slot machines and 240 table games, producing an estimated $168 million for the state.
The new proposal also adds $25.2 million in annual revenue sharing for cities and towns that was proposed as an amendment in the House but never came up after the bill was killed.
That bill, legalizing a single casino with up to 5,000 slot machines and 150 table games, was killed by the House, 173-144, two weeks ago.
During the 10-minute Senate debate on the bill, some senators said casino gambling is the wrong road to do down.
"SB 366 is the first serious legislative remedy to restore revenue sharing payments and is a much needed move to help lessen the burdens of local property taxpayers," said Rep. Ken Weyler, R-Kingston. "I am pleased to see the Senate move forward on a $25 million dollar remedy to the tax challenges our state faces."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Executive Council approves railroad contract for Milford - 0
- Executive Council to consider raising dollar threshold for contracts - 0
- GOP to Hassan: What taxes would you raise? - 0
- NH Republicans push for 2014 fiscal budget figures - 0
- State Sen. David Boutin apologizes for lapse in judgment - 17
- New victim protections passed by Legislature celebrated - 0
- Gov. Hassan asks agency heads for conservative budgets - 2
- Hassan runs first ad as GOP claims more irregularities - 0
- Interim IT, NH tourism heads approved - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man stabbed in leg in Manchester incident - 0
- Senate sustains Hassan veto of bill to revamp juvenile justice system - 0
- Possible negotiated plea for Nashua dad accused of negligent homicide in son's death - 0
- Amherst man facing charges in August Merrimack accident - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Brown calls on Shaheen to back bill targeting ISIS - 4
- Traffic backed up a mile in Hampton tractor-trailer accident - 0
- Woman shot during Manchester drug raid is identified - 0
- Citizen's Police Academy in Manchester set for Oct. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Football Power Poll; Who's No. 1 this week? - 0
In 2nd District race, Garcia bucks Obamacare
Attorney claims illegal phone seizure following Christmas Eve accident that killed Brookline mom
Find the hidden cash stashed downtown
Strategery: A war by any other name
Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.?
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Lawyer wants cellphone evidence thrown out
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine