Home » News » Politics » State Government
Casino for NH gets another chance at coming into being
The state Senate Thursday voted 15-9 to approve state Sen. Lou D'Allesandro's gaming bill that would allow two casinos to share 5,000 video slot machines and 240 table games, producing an estimated $168 million for the state.
The new proposal also adds $25.2 million in annual revenue sharing for cities and towns that was proposed as an amendment in the House but never came up after the bill was killed.
That bill, legalizing a single casino with up to 5,000 slot machines and 150 table games, was killed by the House, 173-144, two weeks ago.
During the 10-minute Senate debate on the bill, some senators said casino gambling is the wrong road to do down.
"SB 366 is the first serious legislative remedy to restore revenue sharing payments and is a much needed move to help lessen the burdens of local property taxpayers," said Rep. Ken Weyler, R-Kingston. "I am pleased to see the Senate move forward on a $25 million dollar remedy to the tax challenges our state faces."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Alderman seeks to halt accidents, install traffic signals at busy Manchester intersection - 4
- Derry board to consider proposal to extend commercial zoning along Route 28 - 0
- Nashua's Broad Street Parkway on track to open August 2015 - 0
- Work to support Sullivan County agriculture made possible with USDA grant - 0
- Claremont to negotiate $1 sale of historic Sawtooth Building - 0
- Hampton board denies appeal in beach condo complaint over AT&T antennas - 0
- Deadline pressure to adopt new Nashua budget - 0
- No water for Manchester sewer bill scofflaws? - 5
- New Boston mulch processing plant plans under review - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
When company comes, opt for variety
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride